Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our first 10K

After a summer of 6:00a.m. morning walk/jogs with the "Smokin' Hot Mamas" and friends I thought I was ready for my first 10K run. OH-H-H what was I thinking!!! First of all I AM NOT A RUNNER, more like a clutz. I have deemed myself a glorified "wogger". Never the less, my goal was not to be last place. I signed Duane and myself up weeks ahead so that I would not back out. My BFF Tammy agreed to run along side as well. Oct. 10, 2009, a beautiful, colorful fall day in Indian Creek. With Duane on one side and Tammy on the other off we went. Things were going better than I expected until we hit about mile 3. The race organizers were kind enough to put boards across the cattle guards as to make it easier to cross. I tried to blame Tammy for the mishap but I think the problem was that I actually need to pick up my feet more than a 1/4 inch when wogging. As my foot clipped the edge of the board I began my flight to the other side (At least I made it to the other side right?) As I met with the pavement I imbedded a large piece of gravel into the palm of my hand which wouldn't be discovered until a later date at the doctors office. OUCH!!! I managed to finish in 61st place with a few scrapes and bruises. I FINISHED!!! Not last place and 5 minutes faster than my expected goal. Kudos to Duane and Tammy for staying with me and letting me cross the finish line before them. I can't say if there will be any more 10K's in our future. Stay tuned.


1 comment:

  1. If we didn't achieve nothing else... it was a very memorable day. So glad we could do that together and I got to pull out all of my Tonya Harding tricks at the cattle guard. Couldn't let you get too far ahead of me!! Can't wait till next year. Have you told Duane yet that we are doing it again?? :-)

    ReplyDelete